alphaSQUAD Forum
Enjoy! Thanks For Longing In! - Alpha Squad
alphaSQUAD Forum
Enjoy! Thanks For Longing In! - Alpha Squad
alphaSQUAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alphaSQUAD Forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Well Hello There
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 pm by The Kirby

» Car Meet 9/9/16 Legends Burgers *Rancho Cucamonga
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 6:52 pm by The Kirby

» Hello Noob From Rancho Cucamonga
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 6:36 pm by The Kirby

» $105 @ Big Willow April 16-17th, 2016
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 5:25 am by pierce1

» $99 @ Streets of Willow January 30th, 2016
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 7:47 am by pierce1

» $89 @ Streets of Willow January 09-10, 2016
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 10:37 pm by pierce1

» $89 @ Streets of willow December 26-27, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 am by pierce1

» $125 @ Buttonwillow Racepark December 5-6, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 8:25 am by pierce1

» $165 @ autoclub Speedway November 21-22 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 6:13 am by pierce1

» $95 @ Streets of willow November 14-15 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm by pierce1

» $125 @ Buttonwillow October 31- November 01 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 am by pierce1

» $90 @ Streets of Willow October 10-11 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 8:39 am by pierce1

» $89 @ Streets of Willow August 29-30th, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 am by pierce1

» $89 @ Big Willow August 8-9th, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 am by pierce1

» Day and Twilight racing @ Streets of Willow July 25th
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 am by pierce1

» Twilight Racing @ Streets of Willow July 18th
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 am by pierce1

» $90 @ Streets of willow - July 4-5, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 7:53 am by pierce1

» $99 @ Streets of Willow - June 20th, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 3:16 am by pierce1

» $105 @ Big Willow - May 31st, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 7:37 am by pierce1

» $99 @ Streets of Willow - May 23-24, 2015
trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 3:00 am by pierce1

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Sponsors

trans cooler! 1st gen xb

Go down 
+4
mywifesbox
dasiknes803
lifesgrand
Cinder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cinder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Cinder

Number of posts : 861

trans cooler! 1st gen xb Empty
PostSubject: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 pm

ok well my new addition is a little long, and is kind of a write up of sorts so it needs its own thread lol.
i just installed a new 1/2" trans cooler on my box where the wiper fluid res. used to be.
my install is much more permanent than most would be, and doesnt have to be done this way, but i wanted it to last. my camera dies super fast so i skipped some pictures on accident becuase the batteries had died but they werent to important really.

i will now do this for anybody in the club who wants it done on their car. u may provide your own cooler or i can provide one for the extra cost, and it will be the proper size. im figuring about 200 for club members 250 for non members. a good price i think figuring itll be welded, mounted, routed, and ill also be changing the fluid all at the same time. it took me about a day total so i doubt you caould have this done anywhere for cheaper lol. a b&m cooler from 365 is $56 plus s/h (which im prob going to upgrade to soon.) so leme know what you guys want done.

you'll need
4 hose USA hose clamps to fit on 1/4" line
4 quarts of T IV auto trans fluid or better (castrol was available thats what i used)
about 5-6' of 1/4" high pressure rubber line.
oil/trans cooler (preferably 1/4 or 3/8 mine is wrong size)
cutting wheel
welder
rubber gloves, mechanics, and welders gloves, eye protection
large allen set for trans pan bolt
drill with a 1/4 or slightly larger bit.
air grinder of some sort.
aluminum strap 1/2" thick by 1" by about 2.5' long
3/4 square tubing. about 4" long
10mm nylocks x4
washers x8
10mm bolts x 6
10mm nuts x2
10mm sockets, wrenches
a vice to bend the metal
sharpie/stabilo
and some welding know how lol.

1. first youll want to pull off your bumper and lay it down somewhere where it wont get messed up. then get a small ratcher with about a 2' extension and a 10mm end and pull off your wiper fluid res. the bolt in the rear where youll need the long ass extension lol. unplug the motor clip, and the 2 lines, and just plug the lines on the car into one another and tie the clip out of the way. you should then have just this.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Copyofbox034
2. now take and hold up your cooler to see where you want it mounted, i put mine rite below the headlight at an angle so it clears everything.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box035
now take a sharpie and kind of mark on the frame where its going to go.
3. now grind where you marked, you want the paint off so you can weld your bracket of square tube to this. like so...
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box036
your grind needs to be bigger than your weld spot anyway so dont worry if its not to close or anything.
4. take your square tube and mark and drill two holes, that your 10mm bolts will fit through, on your square tubing. your going to weld yout two 10mm nuts to this tube.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box037
5. put a bolt through each of the nuts, make sure the bolts is coming out the other end atleast a little bit, then place the on the tubing like so.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box039
the bolts will keep the threads on the nut from distorting during the welding.
6. next put 3 or so good tack welds on the nuts to hold them to the square tubing.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box040
7. now set the tubing aside and pull out the aluminum strap. measure the distance from one tab on the cooler the other, then measure how long the tab itself is, mark you strap and bend it to a 90degree angle uasing so elbow grease and a hammer so it doesnt break. youll end up with this.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box041
this is going to be the bracket that will bolt to your cooler and and the square tube you weld to the frame.
8.make sure your bracket fits in your cooler and your good to go. cut off the excess overhang, than drill holes in the top and bottom of bracket to mount it to the cooler nad drill the cooler tabs to mount to the bracket lol.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box042
9. bolt the two together with the boolts washers and nylocks, then hold the assembly up and double check the placement. mark it, then weld on your square tab to th frame, then drill two more holes in the side of your bracket to bolt onto the square tube. so once its done itll look like this.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box043
spray a little paint over where you ground to prevent rust, and now your half done. (my welds look bad becuae it was windy and i had to weld outside, so it was blowing my gas away, it was pissing me off lol)
10. next your going to need to jack up the fron of your car (always use jackstand!!) and locate the allen bolt under your trans i not sure what size it was, but its big i had to use a torques that fit instead lol. get a oil drain pan, atleast one that holds 4 quarts or so, and loosen the bolt, its tight, until it begins to drain out, remove the bolt all the way and keep on eye on it till its all drained.
11. now, look at the bottom of your radiator, you will see two rubber 1/4 hoses that are only a few inches long that then lead to two metal lines, one line "t's" into the tranny through a fitting, and the other goes straight into the tranny through another fitting. you want the straight fittings line, which should be the passenger side fitting on the tranny, this is the line that dumps the fluid back into the trans after being cooled by the radiator. once you've traced and followed it, remove the rubber hose, fluid may come out be careful.
12. now get your 1/4" hose and attach one end to the nipple on the rad. then measure it over to your cooler and attach it their. then attch another hose to your other cooler nipple, then un it to the metal nipple going back intot he trans. tighten your clamps, tie the lins out of the way, and your almost done. you should end up with this, mines a lil diff tho.
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box046
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box045
13. put the car back on the ground, and put fluid back in, i put 3 quarts in at first. start the car and give it a min or two to flow fluid through the cooler. check for leaks, cycle it from P to L slowly, then back agian, then check your fluid, add accordingly to the cold level. drive it alil it, and rechack to the hot level. all in all youll end up with this
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box048
trans cooler! 1st gen xb Box044
their you guy. it sits behind the upper fogs too, so itll get air their also not just from my air duct.

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lifesgrand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
lifesgrand

Number of posts : 982

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm

what are the advantages of having one install. to run cooler?
Back to top Go down
Cinder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Cinder

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 pm

a tranny cooler extends tranny life, response, and smooths out your shifts a little. i need one becuase my nitrous, and future plans fo turboing.
Back to top Go down
dasiknes803
Super Poster
Super Poster
dasiknes803

Number of posts : 4003

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 pm

^^^Do it...
Back to top Go down
mywifesbox
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
mywifesbox

Number of posts : 66

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 pm

You should have hung it on the back like old VeeDub style. lol
Good job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamaftermath.com
Cinder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Cinder

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm

their you go all. done, leme know if you want it done on your car, i need some way to make money lol.
Back to top Go down
tofulenny
Poster
Poster
tofulenny

Number of posts : 152

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 am

wooww thats friggin dope
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/luckycharms44
tdubsrkt
Super Poster
Super Poster
tdubsrkt

Number of posts : 2171

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 pm

good job cinder....
Back to top Go down
Cinder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Cinder

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:32 pm

thanks man. it was kinda ghetto on mine cuz the size diff in the hoses but its all good.
Back to top Go down
_]WEPAINT[_
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
_]WEPAINT[_

Number of posts : 553

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm

how much did u pay for it cinder? also nice right up!
Back to top Go down
Cinder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Cinder

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:00 pm

um that cooler was like 40 bucks. the better bm is like 56 something.
Back to top Go down
_]WEPAINT[_
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
_]WEPAINT[_

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:21 pm

lets do one on mine cinder

Last edited by _]WEPAINT[_ on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_]WEPAINT[_
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
_]WEPAINT[_

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:21 pm

i put one on my STI and it does help preserve the life of ur tranny thats for sure
Back to top Go down
moonray
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
moonray

Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Nice write up. Why did you go with such a large cooler? I was thinking of something about have the size of the one you installed. But I'm not running any power adders either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trans cooler! 1st gen xb   trans cooler! 1st gen xb I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trans cooler! 1st gen xb
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
alphaSQUAD Forum :: Tech :: DIY-
Jump to: